Fountain Gate Secondary College’s High Achievers program caters for the needs of students in year 7 to 10 who have shown academic skills beyond that of their peers.
Students in the High Achiever program progress through high school with other students with similar abilities and interests. The program provides an enriching and exciting environment that will challenge each student to reach their potential.
A comprehensive curriculum has been designed to enrich, engage and develop higher level thinking skills. Students will also have the opportunity to study VCE subjects in Year 10.
The aim of the High Achievers Program is for the students to:
- Enhance their ability to work with more abstract and in-depth course materials
- Become effective problem solvers
- Extend their analytical and creative skills
- Successfully work as independent and cooperative learners.
The High Achievers Program coordinator and the team of supportive teachers will carefully monitor the students in their studies to ensure that the curriculum caters to their specific needs.
Students who are not initially accepted into the program may be later invited to join after a review of their academic performance.
This is a highly stimulating and challenging program that is designed give the maximum opportunity to students who possess enthusiasm and above average ability.
Students will be required to sit a selection examination and provide their most recent NAPLAN results and school report.
Successful students will also be required to provide a portfolio during the interview process.
The portfolio may include:
- Recent school reports
- Certificates and awards
- Recent examples of writing, assignments, tests and artwork
- Other relevant material to support the application.
Parents will need to authorise the release of relevant information from the student’s current school. This information will be treated confidentially and may be used in the selection process.
High Achiever students will benefit by being intellectually challenged with work that is appropriate to their abilities.
A printable application form can be downloaded here: High Achievers Program Form (Entries close 24th April 2014)
- Complete the application form and forward it to the General Office before the closing date with the necessary documentation and full payment.
- Applicants will be required to complete a series of tests on Reading Comprehension, Mathematics and Writing.
- There will two examinations dates to choose from. Please select one date you wish your child to sit the examination in the application form. Tests will be conducted on Saturday 10th May from 9am until 12pm or Monday 12th May 9:00 am until 12:00pm at Fountain Gate Secondary Senior School, Josephine Avenue Narre Warren.
- An Application Fee of $58.00 must be paid when the application form is submitted to the school.
- A copy of the students Year 5 NAPLAN report and most recent School Report must be submitted with the application.
- Following the entrance exam, students who are to be considered will be invited to an interview where they will be expected to provide a portfolio of their work and achievements to support their application.
*Year 5 NAPLAN and End of Year Report submissions are required for entry.
*If any fields are entered incorrectly you will need to re-attach the required files. (Year 5 NAPLAN and End of Year Report)
*The maximum file upload allowed is 8MB and the maximum combined upload per form submission is 24MB.
*Please be patient when waiting for the form to be submitted. The wait time will be dependant on your internet connection speed.
Note: All applications will receive confirmation of their application. Test papers, documents and results remain the property of the Fountain Gate Secondary College.
For further information please contact:
Ms J. Doble – Assistant Principal
Fountain Gate Secondary College
PO Box 181