Fountain Gate Secondary College has now implemented a ‘Bring Your Own Device’ (BYOD) program across all year levels starting from 2017.
This program seeks to balance:
- the need for all students to have ‘anywhere, anytime’ access to electronic resources and activities
- the changes to government funding which mean schools can no longer provide free devices to students
- the need to minimise financial costs to families wherever possible
- the need for the students’ devices to have appropriate technical support, and
- the need for students to continue developing their handwriting and non-IT skills.
Details of the program are outlined in the BYOD Program - Parent Pack. Please read this booklet and contact the school if you have any questions.
BYOD Minimum Requirements
The device must have:
- a battery life of at least 5 hours
- a screen size of at least 10" (diagonally)
- be able to access wireless networks
- run Windows 10/11+ or Apple OSX 11 (Big Sur) / 12+ (Monterey)
- have a physical keyboard (i.e. not an on-screen keyboard)
- a minimum HDD/SSD capacity of 128GB or greater
- Recommend at least 256GB or greater for students taking any media classes
- 8GB RAM or greater
What you need to do
- Have a notebook computer (device) which meets or exceeds the minimum requirements.
- Prepare the device for use at school and sign the BYOD Usage Agreement in your school document pack.
- Ensure your son/daughter brings the device to school fully charged every day, and follows the BYOD Usage Agreement they have signed.
BYOD documentation regarding rules, regulations and requirements maybe subject to change.